(Lost) In Space(4)

So I mentioned a while back that I would share a bit more about the Space things I had been working on. So that is what I am going to do! First off Is a video  showing off the entire demo. Since creating this video I have tweaked the mission layout and structure. As always this video is not representative of final product, it is still in pre-alpha phase, but I like sharing, so here we go! Space_Demo Space_1 Space_2 Space_3 Space_4 Space_5 Space_6 So Diving into this project, I did not keep myself in check, my scope blew out of control. The first concept for this game was to make something like the old Colony Wars games from the PlayStation 1 Era. While getting my ship controls together, I let my brain free, and started adding exploration into the mix. Now this is not a /bad/ thing from an idea perspective, but I had already put a lot on my plate, I was already running into issues with my enemy Ship AI and mechanics, and here I was putting new ideas into the project.   I took some time to evaluate what I was doing, and after a few attempts to decided to make exploration the highlight of this project, yes out the door was my ‘ lets bring back an awesome old game’ and in was lets explore! So I set off on my adventure. Ship controls were Smooth especially after I switched from keyboard controls to an actual game pad. Other systems were coming along and then I had 1 week until Ludum Dare, I had to finish up my systems and level  if I was even going to attempt Ludum. Thankfully I got to a good place, baring some visuals, I had a playable demo! While I don’t need to write out some giant Game Design Document, I do need to keep the scale and scope of my project in check, and digging into AI a bit more would be beneficial to future projects. Overall this project  turned out nicely and while I need to step away from it for a while, I would like to come back to it in the near future!

Advertisements

Ludum Dare #27

Ok! so I am recovering a bit from participating for the first time in Ludum Dare, The 27th on its kind. With a theme being chosen of ’10 seconds’ I had 48 hours to make a game, with that theme. The first 3 hours were spent brainstorming and trying to figure out what I really wanted to try and show, that met the theme requirements, but I would be capable of pulling off in 2 days. What I ended up with was ‘Cast Out’ http://www.rekindlegames.com/Alpha/Cast_Out_LD_27.html

Cast_Out_StartChar_Select  Game_Over Win_Screen

‘Cast Out’ is a 10 Second Exorcism game. YOu pick to play as 1 of 3 priests and you will combat a random demon with its own strengths.  In the end its kind of like a Wario Ware Game meets a pokemon battle, fighting over the soul of an innocent!

Despite having things besides the Ludum to do during that 48 hours I felt good about what I was able to get accomplished. The game is playable, there are win/loss screens, The mechanics I used were within my ability and did not blow my scope out of whack. And honestly that is awesome. Obviously if you play the game you will notice a few things missing, some text next to the health bars for example.  This was one of a few things I just ran out of time to complete.

Missing in ‘Cast Out’ would be Audio, and SFX, along with some witty banter from the demons to distract the player, all of these do not hinder the player from playing the game however and would only serve to enhance the experience. After submitting my entry into Ludum Dare I have been keeping my eyes on the comments I get, mostly for feed back on what I could have done better that perhaps I didn’t think of, The biggest thing I see is that a tutorial would have been nice instead of just dropping the player in, this is a good call, as I do need to take various types of players into account when making a game, be it for a Ludum or a full project.

Ludum Dare was great, It helped me  not only test my abilities as a Game Designer but also showed me where I have areas to grow in this field. I am looking forward to the next ludum or Game Jam that I can participate in!